Casa Miravista is located above Lake Viñuela, close to the white village of Canillas de Aceituno in one of Andalucia’s most unexplored yet accessible areas – La Axarquia. An easy drive from the coast this part of Malaga province, is a picturesque region of rolling hills lined with vineyards, a stunning bright blue reservoir, low key coastline and charming white villages.
With a tropical climate perfect for producing Moscatel wines, this region of Malaga province is bordered by the sea to the south, and two mountain ranges – the Sierra de Aljama to the north and east, and the Montes de Malaga to the west. You can easily explore neighbouring towns of Velez-Malaga, known as the capital of this region, with its restored castle, then on to Colmenar and Comares; Torrox, to reach Competa; and Nerja, for Frigiliana, one of the prettiest of the Spanish ‘Pueblos Blancos.’
For more of a city vibe, a easy day trip is Malaga and explore the stylish old town, bustling tapas bars and many museums and galleries, before sipping cocktails in one of the cities roof-top hangouts overlooking the magnificent ancient Alcazaba Palace.
A stay at Casa Miravista is also gourmet heaven, with a local climate rich for Andalucian produce from tropical fruit and avocados, to olive oil and wine. The Axarquia offers a wide choice of local restaurants to keep the most avid foodies thoroughly satisfied! Check out some of our foodie suggestions in Spain in Style.
Other local amenities include:
- Nearest Airport: Malaga Airport 59 minutes (69.7km), Granada airport 1h23 (78.5km)
- Nearest Beach: Torre del Mar (27.2km), Nerja (47.8km)
- Supermarkets: Small local shops are located in the nearby villages of Alcaucín (3.7km) and Canillas de Aceituno (7.3km) but hosts will arrange pre-arrival shopping. Large supermarkets are 24km away in Velez-Malaga.
- Restaurants: La Sociedad and El Bodegon De Juan Maria in Canillas de Aceituno (7.3km) are recommended by the villa owners (and us) and are famous for their traditional Spanish cooking.
- Golf: Baviera Golf (37 minute drive) Añoreta Golf (Benajarafe, 40 minute drive)
Fans of outdoor pursuits will be spoilt for choice during their stay. The property is located on the doorstep of some of the best hiking trails in Malaga such as El Saltillo joining the villages of Canillas de Aceituno and Sedella. And for the more adventurous a seven-hour hike which will take you to the summit of the province’s highest mountain range – La Maroma at 2069m.
If you’d prefer to get your blood pumping on a bike ride, there are also some fabulous mountain biking tracks in the countryside – and the property’s’ dedicated concierge team would be more than happy to arrange a guided tour of the best with a local expert.
Heading down to the coast we recommend the coastline of Nerja/Maro, hire a boat, kayak or paddle board and go exploring. Waterfalls, coves, abundant sea life and private beaches await you at this spectacular stretch of coast.